Be careful, if the dish it too hot when you add the yogurt it might curdle. I’ve also only used half of the yogurt as to what the recipe indicates, just my own preference. I’ve add a good pinch of minced chillies in my dish and smoked salt instead of table salt.
All men hate fish! No they don’t really, they just enjoy beef so much more. Having a pre-teen in the house you soon realize that what ever you made the last week for supper just won’t cut it this week since they HATE everything.
Last night was no different. ” I won’t eat that, that looks absolutely disgusting. Is that FISH?!… WITH lentils! No way I’m eating that!” unfortunately for pretty boy his mommy don’t have a problem if he goes to bed on an empty stomach, certainly he won’t starve before breakfast.
Well, well pretty boy cleaned his plate, fish and lentils, all of it!
This is a lovely simple recipe to Jazz up frozen Hake. Don’t leave the lentils out of this dish, it creates a beautiful contrast in textures and soaks up all the curry flavors. It might not look that good but this is healthy, low-fat, low GI comfort food. Good enough for this cold front that is creeping up on us after what felt like a spring weekend here in the Highveld area.
400 g Frozen hake deboned and skinned.
1 tsp Fish spice
250 ml low-fat milk
1 medium onion chopped
5 ml olive oil
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
80 g Basmati rice
Pinch of Salt
2 hard-boiled eggs
200 g cooked lentils or half a tin
125 ml low-fat yogurt
rind and juice of one lemon
Freshly ground Pepper to taste.
1. Place the fish fin a saucepan, sprinkle with fish spice. Pour milk over, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
2. Drain, retaining the cooking juices. Add enough water to the cooking juices to make 600ml.
3. Flake the fish.
4. Fry the onion in the oil until soft. Add the curry powder and turmeric. Add the rice, salt and milk and water mixture. Stir well. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice is done.
5. Meanwhile, shell the eggs and cut into wedges.
6. Add the fish, lentils, lemon rind and juice to the rice mixture. Mix lightly and gently heat trough.
7. Add the yogurt, mix and heat for a few seconds.
8. Sprinkle the pepper and serve hot or cold with lemon wedges and a side salad.