This humble bread is quick and easy to make and always a winner.
It is a great side dish for any “braai”, also perfect with a little grated cheese for a simple lunch, or served with
Lamb chops or kebabs for supper with a salad on the side.
The texture of the cornmeal in this bread is wonderful and is greatly complimented by the sweet taste of the corn.
The original recipe calls for 60-100ml of sugar, which tends to be too sweet for my liking, adjust to own taste.
Healthy Microwave Corn Bread
Paprika to dust the ring mould
30 ml flour
60 ml sugar
5ml chopped parsley / spring onions
150ml maize meal
100ml oat bran
7 ml baking powder
2,5 ml salt
15ml canola oil
3 x eggs
125 ml low fat milk
1 tin sweetcorn
1. Spray a microwave safe ring mold with spray n cook.
2. Dust with paprika
3. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
4. Mix the oil, eggs and milk together and add with the dry ingredients
5. Add the tin of sweetcorn to the mixture.
6. Transfer mixture to the ring mould and microwave for 12 minutes at 70% power and then
for 2 minutes at 100% power. Rest for 10 minutes.
7. Cut into 20 slices.
One slice of bread equals to: 1 starch
GI (63) GL 8
Original Recipe from the book ” Eating for sustained energy”